Gyani Kumari, Sonia Behera, Itishree Biswal
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Gyani Kumari1*, Sonia Behera2, Itishree Biswal3
1Nursing Officer, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Deoghar, Jharkhand, India.
2LJM College of Nursing, Bhubaneswar Odisa.
3MSN, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Deoghar, Jharkhand, India.
Volume - 11,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2023
Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is a class of diseases that involve the heart or blood vessels. CVD includes coronary artery diseases (CAD) such as angina and myocardial infarction (commonly known as a heart attack). Other CVDs include stroke, heart failure, hypertensive heart disease, rheumatic heart disease, It is associated with high mortality and morbidity. Adolescents are exposed to multiple risk factors which makes them highly prone towards CVD at a younger age. Objectives of the study are: To identify the existing knowledge of students regarding cardiovascular health problems and its prevention in selected College of Bhubaneswar, To administer structured teaching programme on knowledge regarding cardiovascular health problems and its prevention in College students, To compare the pre test and post test level of knowledge score of the students. To associate the post-test level of knowledge score of students with their selected demographic variable. A Pre experimental One group pre test post test design was used to conduct this study. A pre and post test frequency distribution of College students regarding selected cardiovascular health problems and its prevention was found by 3 point rating scale in which 80% of college students had poor knowledge in pre test and 58.33% of College students had good knowledge in post test. The pre test mean knowledge scores among college students was 12.08, whereas post test mean knowledge scores was 32.38. The p is 2.00 (p>0.0.5). Hence the difference is statically non significance.
Cite this article:
Gyani Kumari, Sonia Behera, Itishree Biswal. Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge regarding selected Cardiovascular Health Problems and its Prevention among College Students. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2023; 11(3):139-3. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2023.00033
Gyani Kumari, Sonia Behera, Itishree Biswal. Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge regarding selected Cardiovascular Health Problems and its Prevention among College Students. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2023; 11(3):139-3. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2023.00033 Available on: https://ijanm.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-11-3-2
1. Joyce M. Black and Jane Hokanson Hawks. Textbook of medical Surgical aNursing- clinical management for positive outcomes. 2009, 8th edition, Vol. II, Published by Elsevier, Page No. 1430-1447.
2. Lewis, Heitkemper, Dirksen, O’ Brien and Bucher. Textbook of Medical Surgical aNursing—assessment and management of clinical problems. 2011, Published by Elsevier, Page No. 820-838.
3. Brunner and Suddarth. Textbook of medical Surgical nursing. 2011, 12th edition, Published by Lippincott Williams and Wilins, Page No. 825-839.
4. Arlene L. Polaski and Suzanne E. Tatro. Textbook of Core Principles and Practice of Medical Surgical Nursing. 1996, 1st edition, Published by Saunders, Page no.696-706.
5. Gupta R, Misra A, Vikram NK, Kondal D, Gupta SS, Agrawal A, et al. Younger age of escalation of cardiovascular risk factors in Asian Indian subjects. BMC Cardiovas Disord. 2009; 9:28. [PubMed]
6. M. Girija, N. Kokilavani. Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge, Attitude and Practice among Patients with Hypertension. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2014; 4(1): 136-139.
7. Hezil Reema Barboza. A Correlative Study to Assess the Burden and Coping Strategies among Caregivers of Cerebrovascular Accident (CVA) Patients who are Visiting the Rehabilitation Departments of Selected Hospitals of Mangalore Taluk with a View to Provide an Information Booklet. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2015; 5(2): 202-211.
8. Nisha Singh, Seema Patel, Dinesh K Pal. Gandhi Medical College, Prevalence of Hypertension and Associated Risk Factors among Urban School Adolescents in Lady Bhore catchment area of Bhopal city. National Journal of Community Medicine. 2017 ; 315- 319 .
9. Sapna, Rohit Bhatia, Gautam Sharma, Gopichandran L. A Comparative Study to Assess the Knowledge on Risk Factors, Warning Signs and Immediate Treatment of Stroke among Stroke Survivors and Patients of Cardiovascular Disorders who are at risk of Stroke. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2016; 6(3): 391-396.
10. Hemaxi Patel, Jeenath Justin Doss, Suneesah. A Study to Evaluate the Effectiveness of Planned Teaching Programme on Knowledge regarding Healthy Life Style to Prevent Cardio Vascular Disease among Adolescents in Selected College at Rajkot. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2018; 6 (2): 146-148.
11. Senthilkumar T, Tamilselvi A Risk factors of cardiovascular disease in adolescents: A Systematic review. Asian. J. Nursing Education and Research .2021; 11(1):151-156.
12. Sneha R. Dubey. A Descriptive Study to Assess the Knowledge of Adolescents regarding Obesity as a Predisposing Factor for Cardiovascular Diseases with A View to Develop an Educational Pamphlet in selected Urban Areas of Tumkur. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2021; 9(3):319.
13. Nuhad Mohammed Aldoori. Prevalence of Obesity among female Adolescents in Al-Hillah city: Future Risk of Cardiovascular Diseases. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(7): 2127-2131.
14. Koushal Dave, Nirmala Singh. Knowledge Among Stroke and High Risk Patients Regarding Risk Factors, Warning Signs and Immediate Treatment of Stroke. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management. 2016; 4(4): 331-333.
15. P. Jasmine Sharmila, J. Lakshmi Priya, Vijayarani Prince. A Quasi Experimental study to Evaluate the Effectiveness of Yoga Therapy and Physical Exercises on Stress and Blood Pressure among Adults with Hypertension Nanchiyampalayam, Dharapuram. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management. 2017; 5(1): 04-08.
16. Anupriya Thomas, Anvarasulthana A.R, Athira Ajayan, Libiya Abraham, Liyamol Benny, Priya mol Shaju, Renjini Jose, Maria Thomas, Joseena S.V.M. A Study to assess the Knowledge on Lifestyle modification for Prevention of Hypertension among Adults in a selected Hospital at Kidangoor. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2021; 13(2):85-8.
17. Grace Mary George, Kamlesh Kumari Sharma, Sivasubramaniam Ramakrishnan, and Sanjeev Kumar Gupta. A study of cardiovascular risk factors and its knowledge among school children of Delhi. Indian Heart J. 2014; 66(3): 263–271.