Sreelekshmi S., Kavitha B.
Sreelekshmi S.1, Kavitha B.2
1IVth Year B.Sc Nursing Student, Aswini College of Nursing, Thrissur, Kerala, India.
2Professor, Aswini College of Nursing, Thrissur, Kerala, India.
Volume - 10,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2022
With the popularity of high-tech devices (such as computers, tablet and smartphones) and internet use in recent years, playing online and offline games has become a popular activity especially among the younger people. Persistent and recurrent use of theinternet to engage in games, often with other players leading to clinically significantimpairment or distress. Such adolescents are expected to exhibit prominent relationships among the family environment, parent child relationship, academic performance and sleep disturbances. In view to this a study was undertaken toassess the prevalence andexcessive use of internet games among nursing students, in selected nursing college, Thrissur”. The Objectives were to assess the prevalence ofexcessive use of internetgames among nursing students with their selected demographic variables. The researchapproach adapted for this study was Quantitative Approach and design was descriptivedesign was used for this study. The sample selected for this study was the age group of18 to>24 years who are studying in Ist year and 4th year B.sc nursing at Aswini collegeof nursing at, Thrissur. Purposive Sampling Technique was adopted and Sample size forthis study consist of 118 students studying in 1st year and 4th year at Aswini college ofnursing, Thrissur. The data was collected by using Demographicprofile of nursingstudents and Internet Gaming Disorder Scale. The result analysis showed that out of 118 samples 06 students i.e., 4.1% of students have scored more than 23which meant that they haveprevalence of excessive use of Internet games and 94.9% i.e 112 students does not have the habit of excessive use of internet games.
Cite this article:
Sreelekshmi S., Kavitha B. A Study to Assess the Prevalence of Excessive use of Internet Game among Nursing students, at selected nursing College, Thrissur. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2022; 10(3):221-3. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2022.00052
Sreelekshmi S., Kavitha B. A Study to Assess the Prevalence of Excessive use of Internet Game among Nursing students, at selected nursing College, Thrissur. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2022; 10(3):221-3. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2022.00052 Available on: https://ijanm.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-10-3-11
1. Online games, Wikipedia. Available from: en.m.wikipedia.org.
2. World health organization. “Coming of Age Adolescent Health”. Available from: WHO.int
3. Vamkrishnaundavalli, Gobburisudha Rami, Jonnalagadda Ravikumar. “Prevalence of internet gaming disorder in India, A technological hazard among adolescents”. International Journal of Community Medicine and Publishers, vol 7,NO2(2020).
4. Richard Ryan and Edward Deci, “Self determination theory”. American Psychological Association,18 December 2017. Available on: https://www.apa.org/intrinsicmotivation
5. Ahamadh Mamoun Rajah et al. “Gaming Addiction and perceived stress among Saudi Adolescence”. Vol 2 June 2020. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.abrep.2020.100261.