Dharmesh Chaturvedi, Hemant Kumar Tak, Vijay Singh Rawat
Dharmesh Chaturvedi1, Hemant Kumar Tak2, Vijay Singh Rawat3
1Senior Nursing Superintendent, SDRH Rana Pratap Nagar, Udaipur, Rajasthan.
2Principal, MASS College of Nursing, Udaipur, Rajasthan.
3Principal, Venkteshwar College of Nursing, Udaipur, Rajasthan.
Volume - 11,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2023
Background: Research is a scientific process that gathers and analyses information in order to increase our understanding of a specific topic or problem. Research can provide answers to previously unknown questions, filling knowledge gaps and changing the way healthcare professionals work. Therefore, present study aims to assess attitude towards research in nursing students of Rajasthan, India. Method: Descriptive survey research design was selected to conduct the study. Modified Attitude Towards Research (ATR) scale used as research instrument. 373 nursing students from various nursing colleges of Rajasthan were included as participants in the study through random online Googledoc survey. Results: In the present study 75.10% nursing students have not attended any conference, seminar, webinar regarding research. For the total modified ATR scale statements, 49.56% (184.86) nursing students were agreed while 35.92% (134.02) nursing students were not agreed and 14.56% (54.34) nursing students remained neutral with the statements regarding attitude towards research. On the basis of scoring of the ATR scale, around half of the nursing students, 54.42% (203) had positive attitude level, 41.83% (156) had neutral attitude level while only 3.75% (14) had negative attitude level regarding research. Findings revealed that there was significant association between level of attitude regarding research among nursing students with demographic variable like how many conferences, seminar, webinar attended regarding research. Conclusion: The study concluded that there is strong need for educational interventions like conference, seminar and webinar besides regular curriculum for nursing students regarding research as they are future health care providers. Building a positive attitude towards research will help nurses for more scientific approach and providing nursing care on evidence based practices.
Cite this article:
Dharmesh Chaturvedi, Hemant Kumar Tak, Vijay Singh Rawat. Assessment of Attitude towards Research among Nursing students in Rajasthan, India. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2023; 11(1):19-5. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2023.00005
Dharmesh Chaturvedi, Hemant Kumar Tak, Vijay Singh Rawat. Assessment of Attitude towards Research among Nursing students in Rajasthan, India. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2023; 11(1):19-5. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2023.00005 Available on: https://ijanm.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-11-1-5
1. Merriam-Webster. (n.d.). Research. In Merriam-Webster.com dictionary. Retrieved May 3, 2022, from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/research
2. Creswell, J.W. Educational Research: Planning, conducting, and evaluating quantitative and qualitative research (3rd ed.). 2008. Upper Saddle River: Pearson.
3. Northen care alliance. NHS website page. Retrieved May 3, 2022, fromhttps://www.pat.nhs.uk/education-and-research/why-is-research-important.htm
4. Institute of Medicine (US) Division of Health Care Services. Nursing and Nursing Education: Public Policies and Private Actions. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 1983. Appendix 8, Nursing Research: Definitions and Directions. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK218540/
5. Al Furaikh SS et al. A Cross-sectional survey on nursing students’ attitude towards Research. Journal of Health Specialties. 2017;5(4): 185–191.
6. Bhattacharya, Anunay and Tabi, Marian.Attitude towards research among undergraduate nursing students.Journal of the Georgia Public Health Association. 2016.Georgia Public Health Association. http://hdl.handle.net/10675.2/621503
7. Burnett, Anna and Murchison, Rachel and Zhu, Haidong. The Importance of Nursing Research. The Journal of nursing education. 2009. 48. 167-70. 10.3928/01484834-20090301-10.
8. Mathew L and Aktan NM. Nursing student attitudes toward statistics. Journal of Nursing Education. 53 (4).233-237. 2014. https://journals.healio.com/doi/abs/10.3928/01484834-20140325-03
9. Papanastasiou EC. Factor structure of the ‘Attitudes TowardResearch’ scale. Statistics Education Research Journal.2005;4:16-26.
10. N. Balasubramanian. Likert Technique of Attitude Scale Construction in Nursing Research. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 2(2): April-June 2012; Page 65-69. Available from https://ajner.com/HTMLPaper.aspx?Journal=Asian%20Journal%20of%20Nursing%20Education%20and%20Research;PID=2012-2-2-3
11. P. Tamilselvi, G. Ramamurthy. Reliability and Validity in Nursing Research. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 3(4): Oct.- Dec., 2013; Page 270-272.Available from https://ajner.com/HTMLPaper.aspx?Journal=Asian%20Journal%20of%20Nursing%20Education%20and%20Research;PID=2013-3-4-17
12. Kakupa, P. Students’ Attitudes towards Research: A Study of Graduate Education Students at a Chinese Normal University. Educational Process: International Journal. 2019. 8(2),97-110. http://dx.doi.org/10.22521/edupij.2019.82.1
13. Tariq Hussain. A Study on Attitude towards Research among Technology Education Students in Pakistan. Bulletin of Education and Research December 2016, Vol. 38, No. 2 pp. 113-122
14. S Pasupula, L Obulesu, K Reddy. Attitudes towards Research among Bachelor of Pharmacy and Doctor of Pharmacy Students: A Study from Tertiary Medical Institute, International Journal of Indian Psychology, Volume 3, Issue 4, No. 77. 2016. ISSN:2348-5396 (e), DIP:18.01.077/20160304
15. Poreddi Vijayalakshmiet al. Nurses Attitudes and Perceptions of Nursing Research: An Indian Perspective. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 4(4): Oct.- Dec., 2014; Page 508-512. Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2014-4-4-23
16. Hanibernia, S. Knowledge, attitude and barriers of nursing research among BSc nursing students, in selected nursing college of Malappuram district. Manipal Journal of Nursing and Health Sciences. 2018. 4(2), 21-26.
17. Devrani A, Chaudhuri AD, Jose JA. Attitude towards Research among Nurses: An Evaluatory Study. Int J Nurs Midwif Res 2018; 5(3): 41-44.
18. Tumilara Busayo Amoo, Oluwatosin Gbadamosi. Nursing and Midwifery Students’ Attitudes Towards Research: A Descriptive Study. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(3):375-0. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2021.00090
19. Alhaidary A. Attitudes about research among Allied Medical Students enrolled in speech and hearing undergraduate program. Pak JMed Sci. 2019;35(3):709-714. doi: https://doi.org/10.12669/pjms.35.3.571
20. Seher. Remziye. Kizilcik. Attitude of Nursing Students Toward Scientific Research: A Cross-Sectional Study in Turkey, Journal of Nursing Research: October 2018 - Volume 26 - Issue 5 - p 356-361 doi: 10.1097/JNR.0000000000000244
21. Jinit Dwivedi, Dharmesh Chaturvedi, Sanjay Nagda. Effectiveness of educational package on knowledge and practice regarding prevention of Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) among patients with modifiable risk factors of CAD. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2022; 12(1):37-1. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2022.00007
22. Sheela Williams, Lissa J, Saraswathi. K. N. A Study to assess the Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge Regarding Polycystic Ovarian Disease among Adolescent Girls in Selected Colleges in Mysuru. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(3): 371-375. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00074.X
23. Rajesh Joshi. A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Self Instructional Module on Knowledge Regarding Protein Energy Malnutrition among the Mothers of under Five-Year Children in Selected Anganwadi at Nandasan, Gujarat. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management 3(1):Jan. - Mar., 2015; Page 62-63. Available on: https://ijanm.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2015-3-1-16
24. Sumanpreet Kaur. A Pre-experimental Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge regarding Awareness about Sexual Abuse among the Adolescents studying in selected School of District Gurdaspur, Punjab. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2017; 5(1): 33-43. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2017.00008.4
25. Anupama Sharma. A Pre- Experimental Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Program on Leucorrhoea among Nursing Students in HGPI kala- Amb. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management. 2017; 5(4):331-335. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2017.00070.1
26. Alexander. P.C. A Study to Evaluate the Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge Regarding Hazards of Tobacco among Adolescent boys of Tallarevu Village, Kakinada. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management. 2017; 5(1): 15-19. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2017.00004.X