Sheena Luvina E, Jayasankari S., Leena L. Raju, Ravichandran
Ms. Sheena Luvina E1*, Mrs. Jayasankari S.2, Mrs. Leena L. Raju3, Dr. Ravichandran4
1Assistant Nursing Superintendent, PIMS, Puducherry, India.
2HOD Dept. of OBG Nursing, College of Nursing PIMS, Puducherry, India.
3Asst. Prof. Dept. of OBG Nursing, PIMS, Puducherry, India.
4Lecturer/Biostatistician, PIMS, Puducherry, India.
Volume - 9,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2021
Adolescence is a phase of changeover from childhood to adulthood. For a girl, adolescence is a blend of physical and psychological preparation to enrol into a safe motherhood1. Menstruation is a basic female physiological process, capable of affecting the several other metabolisms within the body2. This study was conducted to Assess the Effect of Aerobic Exercises on Menstrual Difficulties among Adolescent Girls in a Selected School at Puducherry. Pre experimental one group pretest post-test design was used in this study. 60 adolescent girls who fulfilled the inclusion criteria were selected by Purposive sampling technique. On day one clinical variables and level of menstrual distress was assessed using Modified Moos Menstrual Distress Questionnaire with previous month experience. Aerobic Exercise session was started from 5th day of the cycle up to 22nd day weekly 3 days for 30minutes in a common room. Post test conducted using Modified Moos Menstrual Distress Questionnaire on the 5th day of the cycle the following month to assess the effectiveness of Aerobic Exercises. The study findings revealed that, the median difference in Menstrual Distress level between pretest and posttest with Aerobic Exercises intervention was observed to be highly statistically significant (p value<.0.001) Findings of the study revealed that there was highly statistically significant difference in the level of Menstrual Distress before and after Aerobic Exercises. Hence the study concluded that Aerobic Exercises being one of non pharmacological method was very effective in decreasing the level of Menstrual Distress among adolescent girls.
Cite this article:
Sheena Luvina E, Jayasankari S., Leena L. Raju, Ravichandran. Effect of Aerobic Exercise on Menstrual difficulties among Adolescent Girls. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2021; 9(3):305-8. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2021.00068
Sheena Luvina E, Jayasankari S., Leena L. Raju, Ravichandran. Effect of Aerobic Exercise on Menstrual difficulties among Adolescent Girls. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2021; 9(3):305-8. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2021.00068 Available on: https://ijanm.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-9-3-16
1. Adolescence. In: Wikipedia [Internet]. 2019 [cited 2019 Dec 2]. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title= Adolescence&oldid=927040285
2. Jiji MSC. Effectiveness of pelvic rocking exercise on dysmenorrhea among adolescent girls aged 15-20 years residing in selected villages at Kanyakumari District. 2012; 107.
3. Adolescence | Definition, Characteristics, and Stages | Britannica [Internet]. [Cited 2019 Dec 6]. Available from: https:// www.britannica.com/science/adolescence
4. Aditya Prasad Sarkar, Ranjana Mandal,Supriti Ghoral. Premenstrual syndrome among adolescent girl students in rural school of West Bengal, India. IJMS&PH. 2016[ cited 2016 august 1]; 5(3): 411. Available at https://www.ejmanager.com/mnstemps/ 67/67-1437749170.pdf.
5. T.K Soni, G Sumathi, Aerobic exercise: To trim down menstrual distress among adolescent girls. International Journal of Research in Pharmacology. 2014; 3(4): 374-381. Available from http:// www.ijrpp.com/sites/default/files/articles/IJRPP_15_102% 20 Soni.