Background of The Study: For number of years the legal responsibilities of the practicing professional nurse in our country have been occasionally defined. The leaders in the nursing profession are well aware for what they are legally responsible, but there is a lack of well stated guidelines on legal responsibilities in the nursing profession. This is due to unawareness of citizens about their rights of protection against harmful or negligent professional practice. Hence, nurses are rarely got involved in court action or other legal procedures. As the public and profession become more and more aware of the practicing law, both the patient and nurse are in need to protect themselves from legal actions. Hence, understanding of legal responsibilities has become greater importance. Aim: Aim of study is to assess knowledge and attitude of staff nurses related to legal responsibilities in patient care in Y.C.R. Hospital. Method: In the study 60 sample were chosen using non probability convenient sampling, structured questionnaire administered to assess knowledge and attitude among staff nurses of Y.C.R. Hospital Latur. Result: The findings of the present study, revealed that among 78% staff nurses have average knowledge and 22% staff nurses have good knowledge. The total knowledge score ranged from 0 - 31. The knowledge score was further divided arbitrarily in to, Poor (0 – 10), Average (11 – 21), and good knowledge (22 – 31). A modified Likert type attitude scale was prepared and the total score ranged from 30 to 150. This was further divided arbitrarily as follows; Negative (30 – 70), Slightly Positive (71 – 110), and Strongly Positive attitude (111 – 150). Mean knowledge score among staff nurses was 20.0667 with standard deviation + 2.39962 and Range between 0-31 While the Mean attitude score was 91.4833 with Standard Deviation of +10.27007 and Range between 30-150. Hence Null hypothesis is accepted. To find association of knowledge with their selected personal demographical variables Chi-Square was computed, results reveal that no personal variables of samples were found to be statistically significant at 0.05 level of significance. CONCLUSION: The study revealed knowledge and attitude of staff nurses related to legal responsibilities is having a profound impact on patient care majority staff nurses have average knowledge about legal responsibilities in patient care. The result demonstrated that the Questionnaire was effective to assess knowledge and attitude related to legal responsibilities in patient care among staff nurses of Y.C.R. Hospital Latur.
Cite this article:
Sarvanan. S. S., Santosh Kumar S. K. An Exploratory Study to Assess Staff Nurse Knowledge and Attitude related to Legal Responsibilities in patient care at Y.C.R. Hospital, Latur, Maharashtra. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2023; 11(2):120-4. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2023.00029
Sarvanan. S. S., Santosh Kumar S. K. An Exploratory Study to Assess Staff Nurse Knowledge and Attitude related to Legal Responsibilities in patient care at Y.C.R. Hospital, Latur, Maharashtra. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2023; 11(2):120-4. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2023.00029 Available on: https://ijanm.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-11-2-11
1. Histroy of the word Legal (https:/www.etymonline.com/word/legal
2. Meaning of legal available from(http://dictionary.sensagent.com/legal%20aspects/en-en/.)
7. (PDF) Medication errors: a focus on nursing practice (researchgate.net)
8. Hemant Kumar, Gokhale Kalpana Jain, D.R. Mathur Legal Awareness and Responsibilities of Nursing Staff in Administration of Patient Care in A Trust Hospital, Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2013 Dec, Vol-7(12): 2814-2817
9. Sarju Maharjan, Mamta Thapa, Bijay Maharjan “Awareness of Nurses on Legal and Ethical Aspects of Nursing in Selected Hospitals of Lalitpur. International Journal of Health Systems and Implementation Research. 2019, Vol. 3(19): 354-358
10. Jain Kalpana, Kumar Hemant and Mathur D.R. Legal Awareness and Responsibilities of Nursing Staff in Administration of Patient Care in A Trust Hospital. [Internet]. Journal of Clinical & Diagnostic Research.10.7860/JCDR/2013/7737.388 6.