Janet Anbumani, Vijayata, Diksha Sharma
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Janet Anbumani1, Ms. Vijayata2, Diksha Sharma3
1Associate Professor, M. Sc Nursing, Department of Obstetric and Gynaecology Nursing, Bee Enn College of Nursing, chak Bhalwal Jammu and Kashmir,
2Assistant Professor, M. Sc Nursing, Department of Child Health Nursing, Bee Enn College of Nursing, Chak Bhalwal Jammu and Kashmir
3Assistant Professor, M. Sc Nursing, Department of Mental Health Nursing, NEMCARE institute of Nursing Sciencies, Guwhati,
Volume - 11,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2023
Background: Chemotherapy is the use of cytotoxic drugs in the treatment of cancer. It is one of the four treatment modalities (the other being surgery, radiation therapy, and biotherapy) that provide cure, control, or palliation. Cytotoxic drugs are used in the therapy of various neoplastic conditions, organ transplantation, and collagen vascular disorders and are used in oncology, radiotherapy, transplant, and immunology units.. Nurses must be aware of the safe handling of chemotherapeutic drugs, which include assessment of drug preparation, administration and disposal. Methodology: A Pre-Experimental study following one pre-test post-test design was used. Participant’s data was collected from 40 students of Bsc(N) 4th year students using purposive sampling technique. Knowledge was assessed by using structured knowledge questionnaire. Conclusion: Data was analyzed using SPSS 16. The t test analysis showed a significant difference before and after the administration of structured teaching program on knowledge regarding safe handling of chemotherapy drugs (t=16.580 and p= 0.000) at 0.05 level of significance.
Cite this article:
Janet Anbumani, Vijayata, Diksha Sharma, Assess the Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge Regarding Safe Handling of Chemotherapeutic Drugs Among B.Sc. Nursing 4th Year Students in Bee Enn College of Nursing at Chak Bhalwal Jammu: A Pre Experimental Study. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2023; 11(3):151-4. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2023.00035
Janet Anbumani, Vijayata, Diksha Sharma, Assess the Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge Regarding Safe Handling of Chemotherapeutic Drugs Among B.Sc. Nursing 4th Year Students in Bee Enn College of Nursing at Chak Bhalwal Jammu: A Pre Experimental Study. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2023; 11(3):151-4. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2023.00035 Available on: https://ijanm.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-11-3-4
1. Airley, R., Cancer Chemotherapy 2009, John Wiley and Sons, Ltd.: Chichester.
2. Textbook of Medical Surgical and Nursing Edition 3rd, Page Number 111-129.
3. Chugh SN, A Textbook of Medical Surgical and Nursing (part-2), Edition 1st (2013), Page number 1222-1238.
4. Chritensen and Kock row (2011). Foundation and Adult Health Nursing 6th edition Missouri: Elsevier Publications.
5. Joyce M Black (2012), Medical Surgical Nursing volume 1.8th edition Philadelphia: Elsevier Publication
6. Vioral AN. From an Issue Editor. Home Health Care Management and Practice. 2007;19(5):339-340. doi:10.1177/1084822307301550
7. Mohsen MM, Abdullah WH, Kholy TA El, Al-abbadi H. Effect of Nutritional Educational Intervention on Improving Dietary Habits among Recovering Colorectal Cancer Patients. 2017;4(1):327–44.
8. Walton, A.l, Mason ,S, Busshart, M, Spruill,A.D., Check, s., Lane, A.,Sabo, K. and Taylor, A.(2012).Safe handling:Implementing hazardous drug precautions. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing. 16(3), 251-254, doi:L10,1188/12 CJON.251-254.
9. Weingart, S.N., Li, J.W., Zhu, J., Morway, L., Stuver, S, O., Shulman, L. N and Hassett, M.J. (2012). U.S. cancer centre implementation of ASCO/oncology Nursing society chemothetrapy administration safety standards. Journal of Oncology Practice, 8(1), 7-12.
10. Whittemore, R. knafl, k. (2005). The integrative review: updated methodology. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 52, 546-553.
11. Womer RB, Tracy E, Soo-Hoo W, Bickert B, DiTaranto S, Barnsteiner Jh. Multidisciplinary system approach to chemotherapy safety; rebuiliding processes amd holding the gains. Jclin Oncol 20, 2002,4705-12.
12. Usha Rani R. A Study to Assess the Knowledge regarding the side Effects of Chemotherapy among Cancer patients in selected Hospital, Bangalore. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(1):83-85.
13. Saranya. K.V., Ramapriya. G., Ravendra Bansal, Manimegalai. S., Priya P.M. Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Program on Knowledge regarding Chemotherapy and Chemotherapy Administration Protocol among Final Year General Nursing and Midwifery Students at selected schools of Nursing Sciences Bengaluru. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2022; 12(4):445-8.
14. Darshana. Kumari, Vashali Taksande. Assess the practice regarding safety measures used by nurses while handling Chemotherapy drugs. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management. 2016; 4(4): 349-354.
15. Simrat Kaur, Prempati Mayanglambam, Deepika Bajwan, Nancy Thakur. Chemotherapy and its Adverse Effects – A Systematic Review. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2022; 10(4):399-2.
16. Lakshyajeet Nath, Urmi Choudhury, Mangala Lahkar. A Study about the pattern of adverse effects of various oncology drugs in a Tertiary Care Hospital of North East India. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2022;14(4):208-2.
17. Amy Elizabeth Jaibu, R. Shanmuga Sundaram, Krishnaveni. K, Sambathkumar R. Targeted Cancer Therapy: Promises and Reality.Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(4): 1407-1412.
18. Jishala MI, Venkateswaramurthy N, Sambathkumar R. Cardiotoxicity associated with Cancer Chemotherapy. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(5):2480-2487.
19. Casimir Adade Adade, Amine Cheikh, Hafid Mefetah, Amina Kili, Laila Hessissen, Mustapha Bouatia. Adverse effects of Anticancer Chemotherapy in Childhood Cancer: A Prospective Study in a Moroccan hospital. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(6):2559-4.
20. Krishnaveni K, Rosmi Jose, Sumitha SK, Teena Johny, Shanmuga Sundaram R, Sambathkumar R. A Study on Socio Demographic and Associated Risk Factors for Cancer Patients in Private Cancer Hospital, Bangalore, India. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(2):677-680.
21. Punna Venkateshwarlu, Mehul M. Patel. A Review: Method Development Validation and Degradation Studies of some Anticancer Drugs. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(10): 5443-8.