Manpreet Kaur, Manpreet Kaur, Manpreet Kaur, Manpreet Kaur, Narinder Kaur, Natasha, Navjot Kaur, Navjot Kaur, Navneet Kaur, Navpreet Kaur, Simarjit Kaur, Navjot Kaur
Manpreet Kaur1, Manpreet Kaur1, Manpreet Kaur1, Manpreet Kaur1, Narinder Kaur1, Natasha1, Navjot Kaur1, Navjot Kaur1, Navneet Kaur1, Navpreet Kaur1, Simarjit Kaur2, Navjot Kaur3*
1Dayanand Medical College and Hospital, College of Nursing, Ludhiana, Punjab, India.
2Nursing Tutor, Dayanand Medical College and Hospital, College of Nursing, Ludhiana, Punjab, India.
3Assistant Professor, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Deoghar, College of Nursing.
Volume - 10,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2022
Developmental milestones in children or infants are a certain set of skills or age-specific tasks. Missed or delayed milestones in infancy can be symptoms of serious medical conditions. If parents understand their children’s development, they can tailor their expectations and provide stimulation. This study was conducted to assess the level of knowledge regarding the development milestones of infants among mothers. A descriptive study was conducted on 100 mothers of neonates visiting pediatric OPD and gynecological unit (Postnatal Ward).A convenience sampling technique was used to collect data. More than half of mother’s i.e. 60% had an average level of knowledge, 22% of mothers had a poor level of knowledge and 18% of mothers had a good level of knowledge. Mothers had the highest (75.25%) mean knowledge percentage in general information followed by 53.33%, in developmental delay and least (37.50%) mean knowledge percentage in language development. The overall mean knowledge score is 10.240±2.40 and there is no association (p>0.05) between the knowledge level of mothers with selected demographic variables. It is concluded that the majority of the mothers of neonates had average knowledge regarding developmental milestones.
Cite this article:
Manpreet Kaur, Manpreet Kaur, Manpreet Kaur, Manpreet Kaur, Narinder Kaur, Natasha, Navjot Kaur, Navjot Kaur, Navneet Kaur, Navpreet Kaur, Simarjit Kaur, Navjot Kaur. Knowledge of mothers regarding developmental milestones of infants: A Descriptive Cross-sectional study. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2022; 10(4):315-0. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2022.00071
Manpreet Kaur, Manpreet Kaur, Manpreet Kaur, Manpreet Kaur, Narinder Kaur, Natasha, Navjot Kaur, Navjot Kaur, Navneet Kaur, Navpreet Kaur, Simarjit Kaur, Navjot Kaur. Knowledge of mothers regarding developmental milestones of infants: A Descriptive Cross-sectional study. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2022; 10(4):315-0. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2022.00071 Available on: https://ijanm.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-10-4-3
1. Catherine, S., Lemonda, T., Shannan, J., and Spellmann M. (2002). Low-Income Adolescent Mothers Knowledge about Development Infant Mental Health Journal. 23(1-2):88-10.
2. Kogila, P., Majumder, M., Dhevadhshini, S., Parmeshwari, S., Saritha, S. (2016). Knowledge on Infant’s Milestone among Mothers of Infants. International Journal of Scientific Research.; 5(6).
3. Renuka K. A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Teaching Programme in Knowledge on Selected Infectious Disease Among Mothers of Under Five Children in Thiruvallur District. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 1(2): April-June 2011; Page 57-59.
4. Rehman, A.U., Kazmi, S.F., and Muhir F. (2016). Mothers’ Knowledge about Child Development. Pakistan Pediatric Journal, 40(3): 176-181. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication /312027910.
5. V. Anusuya Devi. A Correlational Study to Assess the Knowledge on Nutrition of Under Five Children among the Migrating Mothers and Prevalence of Nutritional Problems among Their Children in Selected Rural Community, Thiruvallur District, Tamil Nadu. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 1(1): Jan.-March 2011; Page 15-18.
6. Dorothy, M.R. (1988). Textbook of Pediatric Nursing: 5th Edition. Philadelphia WB Saunders. Page no.335.
7. Nguyen TTH, Lindmark U., Bengtson A.. Knowledge of Child Nutrition when Breastfeeding – A study of Mothers living outside Hanoi. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 4(1): Jan.-March 2014; Page 04-10.
8. Varghese, C. and Brigit, A.P. (2015). Effectiveness of Information Booklet on knowledge regarding milestone development of infants among the Primigravid women in a selected hospital in Mangalore. Indian Journal of Research.4(6), 58-60
9. Khushbu Meshram, Archana Maurya, Darshana Kumari. Effectiveness of Planned Teaching on Knowledge Regarding Developmental Milestones among the Mothers of infant in selected Rural area of Wardha District. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2017; 5(2): 160-164.
10. David, D., Toppo, K.J, Saini, K. (2014). Study to assess the knowledge of mothers regarding developmental milestones of infants. International Journal of current research, 6(7), 7524-7528. Retrieved from: https://www.journalcra.com/sites/default/tile/5791-1pdf.
11. Burns, C.E., Dunn, A.M., Braely, M. A., Starr, N.B. and Blosser, C.G. (2004). A textbook of pediatric primary care. Fourth edition. Missouri, India: Elseviers, Page no. 71
12. Parthasarathy. A, Menon, P.S.N.Gupta, P., Nair, M.K.C, Agarwal, R. and Sukumaran, TU (2013). IAP Textbook of Pediatrics Fifth edition. New Delhi, India ; Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers, Page no.63.
13. Gupta, A., Kalaivani, M., Gupta, S. and Nongkynrih, B. (2016). Study on achievement of motor milestones and associated factors among children in rural north India. Retrieved https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5084565/
14. Rajesh Joshi. A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Self Instructional Module on Knowledge Regarding Protein Energy Malnutrition among the Mothers of under Five-Year Children in Selected Anganwadi at Nandasan, Gujarat. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management 3(1):Jan. - Mar., 2015; Page 62-63.
15. Reich, S. (2005). What do mothers know? Maternal knowledge of child development. Infant Ment Health J. Mar;26(2):143-156. DOI: 10.1002/imhj.20038. PMID: 28682521.
16. Mamata Puhan, Anuradha Panda, Sinmayee Devi. A Study to assess the Effectiveness of Planned Teaching Programme on Knowledge Regarding Developmental Milestones of Children between 0-2 Years among Mothers at Chirvaltola Basti, BBSR, Odisha. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2017; 5(1): 87-90.
17. R. Adlin Pon Joy. Education to Mothers of Under Fives on First aid Measures for Home Accidents at Nadu Arasur, Coimbatore. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 1(4): Oct-Dec. 2011; Page 125-126.
18. Gupta, A., Kalaivani, M., Gupta, S. and Nongkynrih, B. (2016). Study on achievement of motor milestones and associated factors among children in rural north India. Retrieved https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5084565/
19. Susheel kumar V. Ronad, Shrinivas K, Meghamala S. Tavaragi, Vijayalxmi Shindhe, Ashok S. Kori, Obanaik P. Study to Evaluate the Effectiveness of Planned Teaching Program on Promotion of Child Mental Health among Mothers residing in selected Community at Dharwad. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management. 2016; 4(2): 115-119.
20. Alkhazrajy, L.A., and Aldeem, E.R.S, (2017). Assessment of mothers knowledge regarding developmental milestones among children under two years in Iraq American Journal of Applied Sciences. 14(9), 869-877. Retrieved from: https://thescipub.com/abstract/ajassp.2017.869.877
21. Prasanna kumar D.R. A Comparative Study to assess the Knowledge of Mothers of Under-Five Children Regarding Importance of Play in Growth and Development in Selected Rural and Urban Areas, Bangalore. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research 2(1): Jan.-March, 2014; Page 77-80.
22. Safadi, R.R., Ahmad, M., Nassar, O.S., Alashhab, S.A., AbdelKader, R., Amre. H.M. (2016). Jordanian mothers' knowledge of infants' childrearing and developmental milestones. Int Nurs Rev. Mar;63(1):50-9. DOI 10.1111/inr.12185. Epub 2015 Mar 10. PMID: 25756927.
23. Chandramani Sahu. A Descriptive Study to Assess the Knowledge and Attitude of Parents regarding Behavioral Problem of Pre-School Children in Selected Rural Community of Durg District (C.G.). Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 4(4): Oct.- Dec., 2014; Page 469-471.