A study was done to assess the awareness of Govt. school students on “Swachh Bharat Swachh Vidyalaya” Mission in selected govt. schools of Doiwala, Dehradun. Methods: An exploratory descriptive survey design was used for the study. The subjects were 200 Junior High school students of VI, VII, VIII and IX standard. Participants selected by non-probability convenience sampling technique. Structured Knowledge Questionnaire was administered for the assessment. Results: The study shows that the knowledge score mean value of 200 subjects were 20.44 with standard deviation of 2.47 and mean percentage 68.13. The Chi-square test done with Yates correction formula at 0.05 level of significance revealed association of knowledge scores with only one demographic variable i.e. class of the students out of ten variables selected for the study. Other variables like age of the student, gender, parents education, religion, type of family, locality, source of information and family income were not found to be associated with the knowledge scores of the students. Interpretation and Conclusion: Knowledge of the students were found to be good regarding the national central govt. campaign regardless of any standard variables selected. The knowledge and awareness among students were found to have raised their self-esteem and morale in knowing, asking for and getting their basic right of living in a clean environment whether at school or at home for both boys and girls. The national campaign has brought positive outlook for the teachers of the school too. This concludes that the assumptions made by the researcher were true and the students had some knowledge about the mission and also H1 hypothesis of association of knowledge scores is accepted for one demographic variable among study participants. Findings stress the need for more such national cleanliness campaigns and sanitation teaching programs, which in turn may enhance the overall knowledge and health of the participants.
Cite this article:
Renu Sharma, Nidhi Tomar. Awareness Among Junior High School Students Regarding Swach Bharat, Swach Vidhyalaya (SBSV) Mission, Uttarakhand. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2022; 10(1):79-3. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2022.00020
Renu Sharma, Nidhi Tomar. Awareness Among Junior High School Students Regarding Swach Bharat, Swach Vidhyalaya (SBSV) Mission, Uttarakhand. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2022; 10(1):79-3. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2022.00020 Available on: https://ijanm.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-10-1-20
1. Gulani K.K. Community Health Nursing, 1st edition Kumar publishing house pg-433
2. Suryakantha H A. Community Medicine with Recent Advances, 3rd edition, Jaypee Brothers, Medical publishers. pg-597
3. Gulani K.K. Community Health Nursing, 1st edition Kumar publishing house pg-435
4. Kamalam S. Essentials in community health nursing, 1st edition Jaypee brothers pg-345-346
5. Basavanthappa T B. Community Health Nursing, 2nd edition Jaypee brothers pubishers pg- 825
6. TNAI. A community health nursing manual, 3rd edition, published by TNAI pg-297
7. Park K. Park’s Textbook of Preventive and Social Medicine, 22nd edition M/S Banarsidas Bhanot publishers pg-537
8. Suryakantha H A. Community Medicine with Recent Advances, 3rd edition, Jaypee Brothers, Medical publishers. pg-599
9. Swarnkar K. Community Health Nursing, 2nd edition, published by N R brothers pg-3
10. Hazazi A Chandramohan S Khan J, AL-M- Knowledge Attitude and Practices regarding Personal Hygiene among the Male Primary School Children in Abha, kingdom of Saudi Arabia: A Cross-Sectional Study Helix The Scientific Explorer [internet] (Feb 2018) [Cited on Mar 2018];. 8(2) available from URL http://helix.dnares.in/wpcontent/uploads/2018/03/32153223.pdf
11. http://www.swachhvidyalaya.com/Swachch-Bharat-Swachch-Vidyalaya pdf
13. Ghosh K. Environmental Awareness Among Secondary School Students of Golaghat District in the State of Assam And Their Attitude Towards Environmental Education IOSR Journal Of Humanities And Social Sciences [INTERNET] (Mar.2014) [Cited on Mar 2018]; 19(3) About 5 Pages. available from URL http://iosrjournals.org/iosr-jhss/papers/Vol19issue3/Version-2/F019323034.pdf
14. Mukherjee A, Sinha A, Taraphdar P, Halda D, Debasis S, Sinha M. Effectiveness of a an educational intervention on personal hygiene among school children in slum area of Kolkata, India India IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences [INTERNET] (2014 Dec.) [Cited on feb 2018]; 13(12). About 5 pages. available from URL.http://www.iosrjournals.org/iosrjdms/papers/Vol13-issue12/Version- 3/C0131231317.pdf
15. Tiwari S To Study Awareness of A National Mission: Swachh Bharat: Swachh Vidyalaya in The Middle School Student of Private and Public Schools Indian Journal Of Research [internet](2014 Dec).[Cited on Jan 2018]; 3(12) About 2 pages. available from URLfile:///C:/Users/DELL/Downloads/December_2014_1420185507__07.pdf
16. Press Information Bureau, Swachhta Vidyalaya initiative by Department School Education Literacy Govt of India, International Journal of Sociology and Anthropology [INTERNET] (Oct 2016) [Cited on Mar 2018] available from URLhttp://pib.nic.in/newsite/mbErel.aspx?relid=151323
17. Kumar A, Taunk A A study of sanitation of toilets in elementary and senior secondary schools located in rural areas of Uttarakhand state in India, International Journal of Sociology and Anthropology [INTERNET] (Oct. 2010) [Cited on Mar 2018]; 2(8) About 7 Pages available from URL https://www.researchgate.net/publication/267242213
18. Majra JP, Gur A, School environment and sanitation in rural India, J Glob Infect Dis [internet](May 2010) [Cited on Mar 2018]; 2(2) About 3 Pages. available from URL https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20606963
19. Dr. Berry M Healthy School Environment and Enhanced Educational Performance, CIRI [internet] (Jan 2002 ) [Cited on Mar 2018] available from URL https://www.ciriscience.org/a_314-Healthy-School-Environment-and-Enhanced-Educational-Performance
20. MAY D School cleanliness affects students performance [INTERNET (Apr.2017) [Cited on apr 2018]; available from URL https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/research-shows-school-cleanliness-affects-student-performance-may/
21. Singh R S Kathryn R S .Jacobsen H Hygiene and mental health among middle school students in India and 11 other countries Journal Of Infection And Public Health [INTERNET] (Aug 2016) [Cited on Mar 2018] ;9(4) About 7 pages available from URLhttps://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1876034115002099#
22. Narayana K V MaazeRM Kadaganchi S Comparative study of school sanitation in Rajkot city, International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology [INTERNET] (May 2016) [Cited on Mar 2018]; 3(5) About 5 pages available from URL https://www.researchgate.net/publication/318530020
23. Aminrad Z Zarina S Binti Zakariya S Hadi SA and Sakari M Relationship Between Awareness, Knowledge and Attitudes Towards Environmental Education Among Secondary School Students in Malaysia, World Applied Sciences Journal [internet] [Cited on Mar 2018] ;22 (9) About 8 pages www.idosi.org/wasj/wasj22(9)13/15.pdf
24. Ghanim M, Dash N, Abdullah B, Issa H, Albarazi R, Saheli Z Knowledge and practice of personal hygiene among primary school students in Sharjah –UAE Journal of health science (Oct 2016) [Cited on Mar 2018]; 6(5) About 7 pages Available from URL https://www.researchgate.net/publication/309291733_ Knowledge_and_Practic of_Personal Hygiene_among_Primary_School_Students_in_Sharjah-UAE
25. Suresh k sharma, Nursing Research and Statistics, published by Reed Elsevier Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi, second edition, 2014, p.65
26. Suresh k sharma, Nursing Research and Statistics, published by Reed Elsevier Pvt. Ltd, New Delhi, second edition, 2014, p.61
27. Rajesh kumar nursing research and statistics published by jaypee brothers first edition 2016. p.79
28. Shebeer. P. Basheer A concise textbook of advanced nursing practice Emmess Medical Publishers edition 2012 p-464-467
30. Cooper HM. organizing knowledge synthesis; a taxonomy of literature reviews; knowledge in society,1,104-106.cooper, h& l.v(eds)
31. Raja et al M. Raja, and Mrs. S. Anitha. March, Awareness about clean India programme Among prospective teachers in Tirunelveli district.” Internatioal Journal Of Nursing Sciences [internet] (March, (2017).[Cited on dec 2017]; 5(3) About 6 pages available from URL http://granthaalayah.com/Articles/Vol5Iss3/01_IJRG17_SE03_01.pdf
32. Nagra V Environmental education awareness among school teachers [INTERNET] (JUNE 2010) [Cited on Mar 2018] ;30(2)About 10 pages Available from URL https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10669-010-9257
33. Susanto T Sulistyorinib L WuryaningsihcW E Bahtiard S A cross-sectional study on Clean and Healthy Living Program Behavior (CHLB) among Islamic Boarding Schools in Indonesia, International Journal of Nursing Sciences [INTERNET] (Sept2016) [Cited on Mar 2018]; 3(3) About 8 Pages available from URL https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352013216300254
34. Hfug [INTERNET] (Dec 2014) [Cited on may2018]; Available from URL http://www.hfug.net/digi-serve/clean-schools-links-better-students-better-grades/
35. A. Maptuh The-Relationship-Between-Knowledge-About-Cleanliness-Environment-Students-With-Behavior-In-Cleanliness-MaintenanceEnvironment-Indonesia International Journal Of Scientific and Technology [INTERNET] (FEB 2013) [Cited on Dec 2017]; 2(2) Available from URLhttp:// https://www.scribd.com/document/132625844/The-Relationship-Between...
36. VivasA GelayeB AbosetN KumieA Berhane Y and Williams A M Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices (KAP) of Hygiene among School Children in Angolela, Ethiopia J Prev Med Hyg [internet] (JUN 2010) [Cited on Mar 2018]; 51(2) About 7 pages available from URL https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3075961/
37. Aanchal Magazine New Delhi The Indian Express [INTERNET] April 2016 [Cited on Jan 2018]; Available from URL https://indianexpress.com/article/business/companies/swachhvidyalaya-abhiyan-tcs-mahindra-account-for-80-of-completed-toilets-by-india-inc.
38. Sharma K R the Free Press Journal [INTERNET] 2014 Dec [Cited on mar. 2018]; available from URL www.freepressjournal.in/india/corporate-india-shows-zeal-in swachh-bharat/495573
40. Polit DF, Beck CT, Nursing research generating and assessing evidence for nursing practice. 8th ed. New delhi; Wolters kluwer; 2008.
41. David A, Vaus DE. Research design in a social research. 5th edition. London; Sage publication, 2001.
42. Sharma K S. Nursing research and statistics, 2nd edition, Haryana, Elsevier publication.