Archana Das, Hiramoni Barman, Lt Col M Jayalakshmi
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Archana Das1*, Hiramoni Barman2, Lt Col M Jayalakshmi3
1Tutor, Army Institute of Nursing.
2Lecturer, B.Sc Nursing College, Dibrugarh.
3Prof Cum Principal, Army Institute of Nursing.
Volume - 9,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2021
Background: Schizophrenia is one of the most common of the serious mental disorder. The disorder usually begins before age 25 years and involves changes in perception, emotion, cognition, thinking and behavior. The family member plays a major role in caring for the patient with schizophrenia and has a profound effect on their illness. While giving care to the schizophrenia patient the caregivers face lots of burden including finance, occupation, social relation, leisure activities, physical psychological aspect and also sexual relation in case of spouse. They also experiencing considerable amount of distress as a result of care giving role, and are also vulnerable to developing minor psychiatric disorders such as anxiety, depression etc. Therefore, assessment of burden and psychological well-being on the caregiver providing care to schizophrenia thus becomes an integral part of management of psychiatric illnesses. Objective: To assess burden and psychological well-being among the primary caregivers of schizophrenia patients in a selected hospital of Guwahati, Assam. Material and Method: The study adopted a descriptive design, 100 samples were recruited using convenient sampling technique. Socio-Demographic Performa and clinical datasheet, Burden Assessment Schedule and Psychological General Well-Being Index were used to collect the data. Descriptive and inferential statistics were used to analysis the data. Results: The study shows that the mean score of burden is 76 (+8.472) and the mean score of psychological well-being is 66 and (+12.02). The study shows that there is significant association of burden with age of primary caregivers at 0.01 level of significance. A negative significant correlation was found between burden and psychological well-being (r=-0.497, p<0.001) Conclusion: The study concluded that increase burden reduces the psychological well-being of the caregivers of schizophrenic patients.
Cite this article:
Archana Das, Hiramoni Barman, Lt Col M Jayalakshmi. Burden and Psychological well-being among the primary Caregivers of Schizophrenia. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2021; 9(2):113-120. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2021.00029.9
Archana Das, Hiramoni Barman, Lt Col M Jayalakshmi. Burden and Psychological well-being among the primary Caregivers of Schizophrenia. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2021; 9(2):113-120. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2021.00029.9 Available on: https://ijanm.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-9-2-1
1. Shair AAN, Eljedi. A cross sectional study on burden of family caregivers of schizophrenic patients in Gaza Strip, Palestine. IUG Journal of Natural and Engineering Studies. 23(2); 2015: 29-40.
2. Panchal II et al. A study on schizophrenia: treatment and future aspects: a systemic review. Asian Journal of Research Chemistry. 5(12); 2012: 1503-1512.
3. Pun KK, Heb G and Wang XU. A descriptive cross-sectional study on extent of burden and coping among family caregivers living with schizophrenic patients in Nepal. International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research. 14(1); 2014: 428-443.
4. Gupta A et al. A descriptive study on psychological well-being and burden in caregivers of patients with schizophrenia. International Journal of Medical Science and Public Health. 4(1); 2015: 70-76.
5. Sadock JB, Sadock AV and Ruiz P. Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral sciences/clinical psychiatry. New Delhi. 2015
6. Jaya Ratna VV et al. A study on risk of cardiovascular disease in schizophrenia: a mini review. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 9(2); 2019: 131-136.
7. Mohammed AI. A study on effects of Token Economy on Self care Management of Patients with Schizophrenia. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 4(4); 2016: 334-338.
8. Kumar S et al. A study on assessment of family burden, quality of life and mental health in caregivers of patients with schizophrenia. International Archives of Bio Medical and Clinical Research. 3(4); 2017: 53-57.
9. Urizar CA et al. An updated review on burden on caregivers of schizophrenia patients. Psicothema. 26(2); 2014: 235-243.
10. Shamsaei F, Cheraghi F and Bashirian S. A cross sectional study on Burden on family caregivers caring for patients with schizophrenia. Iran J Psychiatry. 10(4); 2015:239–245.
11. Britto JG, Ramachandra. A study on relapse prevention among caregivers of patients with schizophrenia. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 4(1); 2014: 140-144.
12. Vivitha AS. A study to evaluate the effectiveness of structured teaching programme on expressed emotions and knowledge regarding relapse prevention among caregivers of patients with schizophrenia in a selected hospital, Salem. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 5(1): 2017: 01-05.
13. Chacko LJ etal. A study on assessment of burden among caregivers of mentally ill patients in psychiatric hospital. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 6(4); 2018: 371-373.
14. S, Suresh V, Ravindra HN. A descriptive study to assess the burden among family caregivers of mentally ill clients. IOSR Journal of Nursing and Health Science. 3(1); 2014: 61-67.
15. Vimala G. A study on burden and coping strategies in caregivers of mentally ill person. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 4(4); 2014: 408-411.
16. Nagarajaiah, Jothimani. G, Giri A.T.S and Kusuma. A study on efficacy of nursing interventions in family burden among individuals suffering from neurotic disorders. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2(4); 2014: 191-195.
17. Andrews N, Bivin JB. A study ondevelopment of home management checklist-schizophrenia (HMCL-S) for family caregivers of persons diagnosed with schizophrenia. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 7(2); 2017: 235-238.
18. Sharma L. A descriptive co-relational study on burden, social support and family well-being among caregivers of mentally ill patients in Mansik Aarogayashala, Gwalior (M.P). Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 7(2); 2017: 228-230.
19. Mishra SK, Pandey AK, Adhikari BR. A descriptive and cross sectional study oncaregiver burden and coping strategies in schizophrenia: a hospital based study. Journal of Psychiatrist Association of Nepal. 5(1); 2017: 26-31.
20. Geetha S, Sudhakaran VM. A descriptive, instrument rated and cross sectional study on family burden and coping among caregivers of schizophrenia. The International Journal of Indian Psychology. 4(4); 2017: 16-31.
21. Mandal P, Prakash S, Sagar R. A study on primary caregivers of schizophrenia out patients: burden and its correlates. Delhi Psychiatry Journal. 17(2); 2014: 343-348.
22. Lasebikan VO, Ayinde OO. A study on family burden in caregivers of schizophrenia patients: Prevalence and socio demographic correlates. Indian journal of psychological medicine. 35(1); 2013: 60-66.
23. Mohammed SFM, Ghaith RFAH. A study on relationship between burden, psychological well-being and social support among caregivers of mentally ill patients. Egyptian Nursing Journal. 15(3); 2018:268-280.
24. Sasikala G. A descriptive study on the level of perceived family burden, coping strategies and psychological well-being among the primary caregivers of chronic schizophrenia patients in a selected hospital at Madurai, Tamilnadu. The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR University. 2010.
25. Nagesh V, David A. A study on psychosocial problems of significant family members of mentally ill person. Journal of Mental Health Nursing. 6(1); 2018: 15-19.
26. Kaur N. A non experimental study on caregiving burden and social support among caregivers of schizophrenia patients. Delhi Psychiatric Journal. 17(2); 2014: 337-342.
27. Nirmala V, Latha MG. A non-experimental descriptive study on burden, social support and family well-being among caregivers of mentally ill patients at institute of mental health, Erragadda, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 1(2); 2011: 64-67.