T. Priyadharsini, Aswathy
Dr. T. Priyadharsini1*, Aswathy2
1Vice Principal, Moulana College of Nursing, Perinthalmanna, Kerala.
2Lecturer, Moulana College of Nursing, Perinthalmanna, Kerala.
Volume - 9,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2021
A quasi-experimental study was conducted to assess the effectiveness of progressive mobilization on post-operative recovery among women who had undergone abdominal hysterectomy. The main objective of the study was to assess the post-test level of postoperative recovery among women who had undergone abdominal hysterectomy in experimental group and control group. Post-test only control group design was selected for the study. The sample composed of 60 women who had undergone abdominal hysterectomy in a selected hospital at Kottayam district. Non probability purposive sampling technique was used in the selection of samples. Preoperative teaching on progressive mobilization was given prior to the surgery. Progressive mobilization was done on the samples of the experimental group from 8 hours after surgery. On second day onwards progressive mobilization was given twice daily, for 5 days. Post-test was done on the experimental and control group on fifth post-operative day. The data was tabulated and analyzed by descriptive and inferential statistics. The result revealed that the mean recovery scores in the experimental group was 57.50% (S.D = 3.14) and the mean recovery scores in the control group was 32.10% (S.D = 3.64).The mean difference was 25.40%. The calculated ‘t’ value (28.94) was more than the table value (2.02) at 0.01 level of significance. Thus progressive mobilization was effective in improving the postoperative recovery among abdominal hysterectomy patients.
Cite this article:
T. Priyadharsini, Aswathy. A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Progressive Mobilization on Post-operative Recovery among women who had undergone Abdominal Hysterectomy. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2021; 9(1):22-26. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2021.00007.X
T. Priyadharsini, Aswathy. A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Progressive Mobilization on Post-operative Recovery among women who had undergone Abdominal Hysterectomy. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2021; 9(1):22-26. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2021.00007.X Available on: https://ijanm.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-9-1-7
1. Carol Welch Quotes [Internet] June 2012 [cited 2013 Feb 3]. Available from: http://www.goodreads/healthtips.html.
2. Women’s health. (internet). Available from:http//www.women’shealth.about.com/od/gynaecologicalhealthissues/women-reproductive- health.htm.
3. United Nations Population Information Network (popin). [Internet] Available from: http://www.undp.org/popin
4. Jeremy Oats, Suzanne Abraham. Fundamentals of Obstetrics and Gynecology. London: Elsevier Mosby; 2005. Page No. 94-99
5. Dutta DC. Text Book of Obstetrics, 5th Edition. New Central Book Agency; Calcutta; 2001. Page No. 475-476.
6. B. Presannakumari. Post Graduate Gynaecology. Jaypee Brothers. Medical Publishers Pvt Ltd.
7. Ratnam, Bhasker Rao, Arulkumar. Obstetrics and Gynaecology for Post Graduates. Orient Longman Ltd. Chennai.
8. Vivek Sharma. Hysterectomy and Psychological Aspect of Women in Adulthood. Indian Journal of Holistic Science. 2011. June. Vol 7 (5): Page No. 16 -19
9. Wei Liu, Ying - Li Pan. Breathing exercises improve post - operative pulmonary function and quality of life in patients with lung cancer: A meta-analysis. Experimental and therapeutic medicine. Spandidosis publications. 2013; 5(4): Page No. 1194–1200. Available from: http:// login.medscape.com
10. Clarke person D. L. Patients reference for immediate post-operative recovery [serial online]. 2008. [cited 2009 July 30]; 30 (1) Available from: Factiva. http: //global. Factiva. com.
11. Pamela Evans - Smith. Taylor’s clinical nursing skills. Columbia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2005. Page No. 328 – 382.
12. Garzon – Serrano J, Ryan C, Waak K, et al. Early mobilization in critically ill patients: patients’ mobilization level depends on health care provider’s profession. [document on internet]. No date. PM R [cited 2011]. Available from: http ://www. Jama.ac.in/.