A Descriptive study was conducted to compare the knowledge of mothers on behavioral problems of school going children in selected urban and rural areas. The study was conducted at Solapur district among 120 mothers who were selected by using simple random sampling technique. The study result revealed that the categorization of mothers based on their knowledge regarding behavioural problems of school going children. Among the mothers, in rural area more than half of the total subjects that were 35 (58.33%) had average knowledge, 24(40%) of the mothers had low knowledge, and only 01(1.67%) of mothers had high knowledge. Whereas in urban area more than half of the total subject i.e. 39(65%) of mothers had average knowledge, 14 (23.33%) of mothers had low knowledge and 07(11.67%) of mothers had high knowledge. As per the statistical analysis the researcher concludes that urban mothers is having higher percentage of knowledge when compared to rural mothers; it may be because of education and exposure to health awareness campaigns.
Cite this article:
Tushar S. Kedar. A Comparative study to assess the Knowledge of mothers regarding behavioural problems of school going children in selected urban and rural areas. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2021; 9(1):53-56. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2021.00015.9
1. Vijayalakshmi K, Kumar CV, Rajamanickam H, Cherian A. Child rearing practices and psychological problems in children. Nursing and Midwifery Research Journal 2007 Apr; 3(2):49-51.
2. Datta P. Pediatric Nursing. 2nd edition. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd; 2009.p.1, 186-192. .
3. Perera H, Gunatunge C. Screening for mental health problems in urban preschool children- A pilot study. Sri Lanka Journal of Child Health 2004; 33 (2):39-42
4. Rai S, Malik SC, Sharma D. Behavior problems among preschool children. Indian Pediatrics 1993; 30(4):475-8.
5. Diane K. Newma J. Behavior problems in children are an important social, educational, and health issue. J Dev Behav Pediatr 2009 Oct; 21(5):356-70.
6. Statistics about Kleptomania. [Serial online] (cited on 2010, may1); Available from URL: http://www.cureresearch.com/ k/kleptomania/basics.htm
7. Manivannan D, Srinivasa G, Francis Moses R. A Study to Assess the Knowledge Regarding Behavioral Problems of School Children Among Mothers. Journal of Nursing and Health Science. 2017 December; 6(6): 13-6.