Head and neck cancer is more common after 40 years of age with 60 years being the average age at onset. Tumors can be classified as benign or malignant. In general benign neo plasms are well differentiated and the malignant neoplasms range from well differentiated to UN differentiated. Treatment protocols vary according to the type and stage of the cancer. Besides conventional treatments, complementary therapy and alternative therapies are harmonious with many values in nursing. A study was undertaken to assess the effectiveness of music therapy on selected physiological and psychological symptoms. By quantitative approach with quasi experimental pre- and post-control group design 200 samples are selected. After collecting the demographic data patients were asked to rate their physiological and psychological symptoms. Instrumental music therapy was given to the patients. Post test was conducted by same tool. The data were analyzed by inferential and descriptive statistics. The study concluded that music therapy was very effective in reducing physiological and psychological symptoms.
Cite this article:
L. Josephine Sutha, Santhi Appavus. Effectiveness of Music Therapy on selected Physiological and Psychological Symptoms among patients with Head and Neck Cancer in selected Hospital at Kanyakumari District. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2021; 9(1):35-39. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2021.00010.X
L. Josephine Sutha, Santhi Appavus. Effectiveness of Music Therapy on selected Physiological and Psychological Symptoms among patients with Head and Neck Cancer in selected Hospital at Kanyakumari District. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2021; 9(1):35-39. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2021.00010.X Available on: https://ijanm.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-9-1-10
1. Adoul Hossain Mandani. (2010). Estimate the Relationship between Selected Socio- Demographic factors and Cancers of Oral Cavity. Cancer Informatics, 9(9), 163-168, [Accessed on March 2019]. Available from https://www.researchgate.net/ publication/46236534-Relationship-between-Socio-Demo-Factors-and-Cancersof-Oral-Cavity-ACase-Control-Study.
2. Anandha Parkavi, C., Thangappa, S., and Nalini Jayavantha Santha. (2014). An Experimental study to evaluate the effectiveness of Application of Flavored Jce cubes on oral mucosities among patients with cancer receiving chemotherapy. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management, 2(4), (200-204).
3. Hirak Nandi. (2015). Study to assess the effects of health Teaching on coping mechanism among patients undergoing radiation therapy. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management, 3(2), 81-82.
4. Imran.S, Moosabba M.S, Ancheril A, (2017) effect of music therapy on anxiety, blood pressure and respiratory rate in patients undergoing chemotherapy, Nursing Care open Access Journal, 2(6), 156-158 [cited on Feb 2019]. Available from Dol: 10.15406/ ncoaj.2017.02.00053.
5. Jalali, et al., (2016). Sleep disorder and its correlates in patients undergoing chemotherapy, Iran Journal of Nursing, 29 (99), 79-85 doi: 10.29252/ijn. 184.108.40.206, (cited Jan 2019), Available from http://ijn.iums.ac.ir /artide-1-2292-en.html.
6. John Everette Park, (2017). Preventive and Social Medicine. Jabalpur, Bhanot Publishers, 24th Edition.
7. Joke Bradt, Cheryl Dileo, Lucanne Magill, and Aaron Teague (2016). Music Intervention for improving Psychological and physical outcomes in Cancer Patients, Cochrane Library, doi:10.1002/14651858.CD006911.pub3. [Cited March 2019]. Available from https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/ 1608171319434.htm.
8. Joyce M. Black and Jane Hokanson Hawks. (2009) Medical Surgical Nursing. Missouri. Elsevier.
9. Julia, BG (2011). Nursing Theories, The Base for professional Nursing practice. England, Pearson Education Limited.
10. Katherine. E, et al., (2017). Prediction and Prevalence of Pain and its management in Cancer Patient, Journal of Global Oncology Dol:10.1200/JGO.2016.006783 [cited Jan 2019] Available from http://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/JGO.2016.006783.
11. Shantha.V. (2015 August 29), Cancer Incidence. Times of India. [cited on Feb. 2019] Available from https://m.timesofindia.com/ city/chennai/cancer-of-stomach-and-breast-mostcommon-in-TN/articleshow/48716855.cms.