Health profile basically helps to identify the new health issues as well as previously identified health issues. It includes the physical health as well as general well–being of the clients. The health profile helps the clients to know their own risk behavior and aware them to change the faulty behavior or life style and help to prevent the disease. A study was conducted to assess the health promoting life style practices among clients visiting selected hospitals of Punjab i.e. Civil Hospital Mohali, Civil Hospital Fatehgarh Sahib, Civil Hospital Kharar, Community Health Center Kurali. The conceptual framework of the study was developed on the basis of Health Promotion Model. A total 200 subjects who fulfill the inclusion criteria were selected by convenient sampling technique. The investigator developed a tool i.e. socio-demographic profile sheet and Health Promoting Lifestyle Profile –II (Standardized tool) and semi- structured interview schedule was used to collect the data. Content validity of the tool was determined. Reliability of the tool was checked by Cronbach’s alpha (p = 0.8). Pilot study was done to assess the feasibility of the study and study was found feasible. Ethical permission was taken from the concerned authorities and informed consent was taken from each subject prior to data collection. Results of the study revealed that more than half of subjectsn (57.0%) had average health promoting lifestyle practices, n (39.5%) subjects had good and 2.5% subjects had excellent whereas only 1.0% subjects had poor health promoting lifestyle practices.The overall Mean±S.D of health promoting lifestyle practices was 128±21.02. The study finding revealed that most of subjects had good nutritional practices and spiritual growth and the subjects do not consistently include health promoting behaviors into their lifestyles, especially health responsibility and physical activity. There is significant relationship between health promoting lifestyle and socio-demographic variables (Age, Educational status, Occupational status, Family income.)
Cite this article:
Monika Thakur, Raman Kalia, Manpreet Saggi. A study to assess the Health promoting life style practices among clients visiting the selected Hospitals of Punjab. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2020; 8(3):187-190. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2020.00044.X
1. Borle PS, Parande MA, Tapare VS, Kamble VS, Bulakh PC. Health-promoting lifestyle behaviours of nursing students of a tertiary care institute. Int J Community Med Public Health. 2017 Apr 24;4(5):1768–73. Available from: -https://www.researchgate.net/publication/ 316485479_Health-promoting_lifestyle_behaviours_of_nursing_students_of_a_tertiary_care_institute
2. Pati S, Sharma K, Zodpey S, Chauhan K, Dobe M. Health Promotion Education in India: Present Landscape and Future Vistas. Glob J Health Sci [Internet]. 2012 Jul [cited 2019 Mar 28];4(4):159–67. Available from:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih. gov/pmc/articles/PMC4776916/
3. Senjam S, Singh A. Health promoting behavior among college students in Chandigarh, India. Indian J Community Health. 2012 Mar 1; 24:58–62.
4. Today’s Lifestyle is a Disease in itself - An Indian Perspective [Internet]. [Cited 2019 Mar27]. Available from:http://www.indianmba.com/Faculty_column/ FC1049/fc1049.html
5. Kamrani Rad Z, Attarian F, Hossein E pour. Health-promoting lifestyle among Mashhad School of Health Students, Mashhad, Iran, 2014. J Midwifery Reprod Health. 2014 Jul 1;2(3):195–204.
6. Shaheen AM, Nassar OS, Amre HM, Hamdan-Mansour AM. Factors Affecting Health-Promoting Behaviors of University Students in Jordan. Health (N Y) [Internet]. 2015 Jan 9 [cited 2019 Mar 26]; 07:1. Available from: http://www.scirp.org/ journal/PaperInformation.aspx?PaperID=53021&#abstract
7. Ayaz, S., Tezcan, S. and Akinc, F. (2005) Health Promotion Behavior of Students at the Nursing College, Cumhuriyet University. Journal of Nursing School, 9, 26-34.
8. Wei C-N, Harada K, Ueda K, Fukumoto K, Minamoto K, Ueda A. Assessment of health-promoting lifestyle profile in Japanese university students. Environ Health Prev Med.Available from:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3348247/
9. Baygi F, Jensen OC, Mohammadi-Nasrabadi F, Qorbani M, Mansourian M, Mirkazemi R, et al. Factors affecting health-promoting lifestyle profile in Iranian male seafarers working on tankers. Int Marit Health. 2017;68(1):1–6.
10. Mehri A, Solhi M, Garmaroudi G, Nadrian H, Sighaldeh SS. Health Promoting Lifestyle and its Determinants Among University Students in Sabzevar, Iran. Int J Prev Med [Internet]. 2016 Apr 14 [cited 2018 Oct 17];7.Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4837801/
11. Tol A, Tavassoli E, Shariferad GR, Shojaeezadeh D. Health-promoting lifestyle and quality of life among undergraduate students at school of health, Isfahan university of medical sciences. J Educ Health Promot [Internet]. 2013 Feb 28 [cited 2018 Oct 17];2. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3778574/
12. Mehri A, Solhi M, Garmaroudi G, Nadrian H, Sighaldeh SS. Health Promoting Lifestyle and its Determinants Among University Students in Sabzevar, Iran. Int J Prev Med [Internet]. 2016 Apr 14 [cited 2018 Oct 17];7. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4837801/
13. Almutairi KM, Alonazi WB, Vinluan JM, Almigbal TH, Batais MA, Alodhayani AA, et al. Health promoting lifestyle of university students in Saudi Arabia: a cross-sectional assessment. BMC Public Health. 2018 Sep 5;18(1):1093. Available from:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/ PMC6126031/