Abha Kispotta, Lija Prince, Saumya Thomas
Abha Kispotta1, Lija Prince2, Saumya Thomas3
1M. Sc Nursing (Obs and Gynaec) , Shri Shankaracharya College of Nursing, Hudco, Bhilai, Chhattisgarh, India.
2Professor (HOD OBG) Shri Shankaracharya College of Nursing, Hudco, Bhilai, Chhattisgarh, India.
3Assistant Professor Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Shri Shankaracharya College of Nursing, Hudco,Bhilai, Chhattisgarh, India.
Volume - 10,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2022
This study was conducted with the objective to assess the effectiveness of flax seed in symptoms of PCOD among females of reproductive age group, to assess the pre and post assessment symptoms of PCOD among females of reproductive age group, to compare the pre and post assessment score of symptoms of PCOD among females in reproductive age group and to find out the association between the pre test symptoms of PCOD among female with their selected socio demographic variables.The study design was an pre-experimental, one group pre-test post-test research design. 60 samples of Female with PCOD who fulfil the inclusive criteria were selected based on non probability purposive sampling technique, after getting informed consent from the study participant, the flax seed was administered at rural area of Ranchi (Jharkhand) The study findings revealed that in pre test assessment score 63% female of reproductive score have severe symptoms and 31% have moderate symptoms. In post test assessment score 70% females shows mild symptoms and 30% have moderate symptoms. The Pre-test and Post-test PCOD symptom score was 616 and 1235 respectively out of 1800.Pre-test mean score was 20.58(68.61%) and SD is 4.93 and, in the post-test, mean score was 10.26(34.22%) and SD was 4.43. The t-value 22.10, which is significant at > 0.05, proves the effectiveness of flax seed supplement on PCOD symptoms
Cite this article:
Abha Kispotta, Lija Prince, Saumya Thomas. An Experimental study to assess the effectiveness of Flax Seed Supplement for reducing PCOD symptoms among female of reproductive age group in Namkum, Ranchi, Jharkhand. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2022; 10(4):379-4. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2022.00083
Abha Kispotta, Lija Prince, Saumya Thomas. An Experimental study to assess the effectiveness of Flax Seed Supplement for reducing PCOD symptoms among female of reproductive age group in Namkum, Ranchi, Jharkhand. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2022; 10(4):379-4. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2022.00083 Available on: https://ijanm.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-10-4-15
1. Reproductive Health, Center for disease control and prevention,May3,2022.URL- https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/womensrh/index.htm
2. Shikha Prakash, PCOS: A lifestyle disorder, The Telegraph online 1/12/18 https://www.telegraphindia.com/health/pcos-a-lifestyle-disorder/cid/1677239
3. Fauser BCJM, Tarlatzis BC, Rebar RW, et al. Consensus on women’s health aspects of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): the Amsterdam ESHRE/ASRM-sponsored 3rd PCOS consensus workshop group. Fertility and Sterility. 2012;97(1):28.e25–38.e25.
4. Rojas J, Chávez M, Olivar L, Rojas M, Morillo J, Mejías J, Calvo M, Bermúdez V. Polycystic ovary syndrome, insulin resistance, and obesity: navigating the pathophysiologic labyrinth. International Journal of Reproductive Medicine. 2014;2014:719050. doi: 10.1155/2014/719050. Epub 2014 Jan 28.
5. Polycystic ovarian syndrome, Cleveland Clinic medical professional09/21/2021. URL -https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/8316-polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos
6. Haidari, F., Banaei-Jahromi, N., Zakerkish, M. et al. The effects of flaxseed supplementation on metabolic status in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: a randomized open-labeled controlled clinical trial. Nutrition Journal 19, 8 (2020). https://nutritionj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12937-020-0524-5#citeas
7. Poornima Malagi, Tata Digital Health, Flax seeds – 5-way defence against PCOS https://www.tatahealth.com/article/5-way-defence-against-pcos-flax-seeds
8. Moini Jazani A, Nasimi Doost Azgomi H, Nasimi Doost Azgomi A, Nasimi Doost Azgomi R. A comprehensive review of clinical studies with herbal medicine on polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Daru. 2019 Dec;27(2):863-877. doi: 10.1007/s40199-019-00312-0. Epub 2019 Nov 18.
9. Nowak, Debra A., et al. “The effect of flaxseed supplementation on hormonal levels associated with polycystic ovarian syndrome: A case study.”Current topics in nutraceutical research 5.4 (2007): 177.
10. Thompson LU. Flaxseed, lignans, and cancer. In: Cunnane SC, Thompson LU, editors. Flaxseed in human nutrition. Chicago, IL: AOCS Press; 1995. pp. 219–236.