Anagha P S, Anagha Sudheesh, Anjali P J, Femy Paul, Haritha T V, Helna Jose, Jomol K J, Libitha Thomas, Anila James, Sr. Philo Reshmi, Angela Gnanadurai
Anagha P S1, Anagha Sudheesh1, Anjali P J1, Femy Paul1, Haritha T V1, Helna Jose1, Jomol K J1, Libitha Thomas1, Anila James2, Sr. Philo Reshmi3, Angela Gnanadurai4
1IIIrd Year BSc (N) Students, Jubilee Mission College of Nursing, Thrissur.
2Asst. Professor, Jubilee Mission College of Nursing, Thrissur.
3Professor, Jubilee Mission College of Nursing, Thrissur.
4Professor, Jubilee Mission College of Nursing, Thrissur.
Volume - 10,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2022
A study to assess the effect of structured teaching progamme on level of knowledge on selected aspects of home care management of patients undergoing hemodialysis in selected wards of Jubilee Mission Medical College and Research Institute. The Objectives: Of the study were to assess the level of knowledge of patients undergoing hemodialysis, to compare the level of knowledge on selected aspects of home care management among patients undergoing hemodialysis before and after structured teaching program and to find the association between the level of knowledge on selected aspects of home care management with selected socio demographic clinical data variables. Research Methodology: The study was conducted among 30 patients undergoing hemodialysis. The research design was pre-experimental one group pretest posttest design and sample was selected by purposive sampling techniques. The tool used for the study had 2 section: Section A-Socio demographic and clinical data variables; Section B-Structured knowledge questionnaire on selected aspects of home care management of patients undergoing haemodialysis. Data analysis was done using differential and inferential statistics. Results: On data analysis it reveals that 11(36.7%) belongs to the age group of 61-70 years. 23(76.6%) samples are males, 29(96.66%) samples are married, 16(53.3%) sample have only primary education, 7(23.3%) subjects have secondary education, 19(63.3%) are self employed, 7(23.3%) of subjects go for daily wage, 22(73.3%) of subjects have income less than 5000,18(60%) subjects have central venous catheter, 12(40%) subjects have AV fistula for dialysis. Most of the subjects 19(63.3%) are under treatment since 1 year ago and 22(73.3%) subjects have illness since 3 year ago. 26(86.67%) subjects does not have family history of renal disease and 16(53.3%) subjects have self knowledge about disease. In pretest about 15(50%) of samples have inadequate knowledge, 11(36.6%) have moderate knowledge and 4(13.33%) have adequate knowledge. In posttest 27(90%) of samples have adequate knowledge and 3(30%) have moderate knowledge. On comparison of pretest and post test knowledge it reveals that mean post test knowledge score 8(28.13%) was higher than mean pretest knowledge score 4(14.23%). Effectiveness of the health education was tested by t test, which revealed that it was effective at p<0.01. There was no significant association between pretest level of knowledge and selected socio demographic and clinical data variables.
Cite this article:
Anagha P S, Anagha Sudheesh, Anjali P J, Femy Paul, Haritha T V, Helna Jose, Jomol K J, Libitha Thomas, Anila James, Sr. Philo Reshmi, Angela Gnanadurai. A Study to assess the effect of Structured Teaching Program on Level of Knowledge regarding selected aspects of Home Care Management among patients undergoing Hemodialysis in Jubilee Mission Medical College and Research Institute, Thrissur. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2022; 10(4):357-2. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2022.00079
Anagha P S, Anagha Sudheesh, Anjali P J, Femy Paul, Haritha T V, Helna Jose, Jomol K J, Libitha Thomas, Anila James, Sr. Philo Reshmi, Angela Gnanadurai. A Study to assess the effect of Structured Teaching Program on Level of Knowledge regarding selected aspects of Home Care Management among patients undergoing Hemodialysis in Jubilee Mission Medical College and Research Institute, Thrissur. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2022; 10(4):357-2. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2022.00079 Available on: https://ijanm.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-10-4-11
1. Alexandra villa-fork. Introduction to human body. MSD manual consumer version [document on the internet]. MSD manuals; October 2019 [cited 2020 September 30]. Available from:http://www.msdmanuals.com/home/fundamentals/the-human-body/introduction.
2. Elainek. luo, Everything you need to know about kidney failure, health line[document on the nternet]; 2019 May 23[cited on 2020 September 30]. Available from:http://www.healthline.com/health/kidney-failure#urine-color.
3. William C Shril. Medical definition of haemodialysis. Medicine Net (document o internet). Medi Net. 2018 December 27(cited on 2020 January 29). Available from:https://www.medicinenet.com
4. Masoud Rayyani, Lila Malekyan, Mansooreh Azzizadeh Forouzi, Aliakbar Haghdoost, Farideh Razban. Self-care Self-efficacy and Quality of Life among Patients Receiving Hemodialysis in South-East of Iran. Asian J. Nur. Edu. & Research 4(2): April- June 2014; Page 165-171.
5. C.H.Janeesha. A study to assess the effectiveness of structured teaching programme on knowledge and practice of chronic renal failure patients undergoing hemodialysis regarding therapeutic intervention in selected hospital at bangalore. Rajivegandhi university of health science Bangalore [homepage on internet];15-may 2012[2020-10-1].Available from:https://www.ruhs.research.in
6. Abecasis Michael, T. Stephen, S. Robert. Kidney transplantation as primary therapy for end stage renal disease. A national kidney foundation/kidney disease outcomes quality initiative conference. Clinical journal of American society of nephrology (abstract).2008 (cited on 2020 September 28); 3(2); 571-480. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article/PMC2390948/#-fnnsectittle.
7. Jha Vivekananda. Dialysis in India-today and tomorrow. Health files (document on internet). Health world; 2016 February 14 (cited on 2020 September 29). Availablefrom:https://health.economictimes.indiatimes.com/healt-files-/dialysis.
8. Christina Pothen, Bibin Baby, AnusreeAshokan, Chinju Chacko, Pradeep Shenoy, Nandakumar UP. Drug Usage Pattern in Chronic Kidney Disease patients undergoing maintenance Hemodialysis. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(10): 5024-5028.
9. Mr. Sany Thomas, Mrs. preethifernandes, Mrs. bridget D'silva.self reported practice regarding homecare management among patients undergoing hemodialysis with a view to prepare an informational booklet. Indian journal of research [serial on the internet].2015[cited on 2020 January 20]; 4(6):61 Available from:https://www.worldwide journal.com/paripex/article/self-reported-practice-regarding-home care-management-among-patients-undergoing-hemodialysis-with-a-view-toprepare-an information booklet/M2U4Mg= =/.
10. Allana Thomas, Ashlin Sunny, Jasmin Jose, Sonu Varghese, Tessy A, ResmiRavindran. Effectiveness of self Instructional Module on Knowledge regarding Home care Management among Patients undergoing Hemodialysis in selected Hospitals at Kollam. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2019; 9(3):415-421.
11. Thenmozhi. P, RajeswariVaidyanathan, R. Vijayarhagavan. Efficacy of Intradialytic Exercise on Blood Pressure among Patients on Hemodialysis. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(6): 2209-2212.
12. Navneet Kaur, Manjeet Kaur, RashmiChoudhary. An Exploratory Study to Assess the Knowledge regarding Post Dialysis Home Care among Caregivers of Hemodialysis Patients Attending Selected Hospital of Mohali. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 5(1): Jan.-March 2015; Page 45-49.
13. Sonia Abraham, Anju Baby, Anju Jose, Vinima Nixon, Sheela Shenai N A. AV Fistula Care Practices among patients undergoing Hemodialysis – A Descriptive Cross-Sectional Study. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2020; 10(1):103-106.
14. Liya John. A Study to assess the Renal Dietary Adherence among Patients undergoing Hemodialysis in selected Hospital, Bangalore with a view to develop Informational Pamphlet. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2017; 5(4): 356-358. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2017.00074.6
15. DuaaDhia Hameed Al- Baghdadi, Rajha A.. Quality of Life for Hemodialysis Patients with Chronic Renal Failure. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(6): 2398-2403.
16. Lakhwinder Kaur, Rajvir Kaur, Monisha N. K. A Quasi Experimental Study to assess the Effect of Intra-dialytic Stretching Exercises on Muscle Cramps among Patients undergoing hemodialysis in selected Hospitals of Jalandhar, Punjab, 2016. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2019; 7(2):97-102.
17. Swapna Mary A, N GayathriPriya. Dialysis and Exercise: A Perfect Match. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management 3(1):Jan. - Mar., 2015; Page 69-72
18. Singh Raghunandan, Kumar deepak, Lakham Ram. Effectiveness of self instructional module on knowledge regarding home care management among patients undergoing haemodialysis at selected hospitals at Punjab. IOSR International journal of nursing and health sciences (serial on internet) 2016(cited on 2020 October 20) ;5(1) :20-31, Available from: http://www.iosrjournals.org/losrjnhs/papers/vol5-issue6/version-1/d0506012031.pdf