The goal of this review is to give you the most up-to-date information on POEMS syndrome. The authors conducted a literature search of available sources explaining POEMS syndrome, with a special focus on syndrome, and compared and evaluated significant findings. POEMS syndrome is linked to a category of illnesses known as monoclonal gammopathies or plasma cell dyscrasias, according to the findings of this study. These illnesses are defined by the uncontrolled proliferation of a single clone (monoclonal) of plasma cells, resulting in an abnormal buildup of M-proteins (also known as immunoglobulin) in the blood, which has a severe impact on the patients' and their families' quality of life. As a result, early and proper diagnosis and treatment are required to lessen or even eliminate the patient's symptoms and social burden1.
Cite this article:
Shivaleela S Sarawad. POEMS Syndrome- A Literature Review. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2022; 10(2):148-0. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2022.00038
Shivaleela S Sarawad. POEMS Syndrome- A Literature Review. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2022; 10(2):148-0. doi: 10.52711/2454-2652.2022.00038 Available on: https://ijanm.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-10-2-16
1. S Vincent Rajkumar. POEMS syndrome. UpToDate. Waltham, MA: UpToDate; May 15, 2015;
2. Veerabhadrappa G Mendagudli, Tushar S Kedar. POEMS Syndrome- An Overview. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 9(4):505-8. doi: 10.52711/2454-2660.2021.00119
3. YP Mundal, SK Sharma et al. API Textbook of medicine, 9th edition, published by Jaypee Brothers, Volume-1 page no.982.
4. Jameson Fausi, Kapser, Harrison`s Textbook of principles of internal medicine, 20th edition volume -2 , page no. 346,498,802-803, 2167,2759-2760,3231.
5. Dr Tina Tian, Medical Oncology Registrar, Hawke's Bay Hospital, Hastings, New Zealand, 2013. https://dermnetnz.org/topics/poems-syndrome/
6. POEMS syndrome. DermNet NZ. September 13, 2014; http://dermnetnz.org/systemic/poems.html.
9. Angela Dispenzieri Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program (2005) 2005 (1): 360–367.https://doi.org/10.1182/asheducation-2005.1.360 https://ashpublications.org/hematology/article/2005/1/360/19304/POEMS-Syndrome.