Volume No. :   3

Issue No. :  1

Year :  2015

ISSN Print :  2347-8632

ISSN Online :  2454-2652


Registration

Allready Registrered
Click to Login

Effectiveness of Self-Instructional Module on Knowledge Regarding Self-Care Management of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus among Antenatal Women Visiting Selected Antenatal Clinic at Mangalore”



Address:   Ms. Smitha K.R1, and Mrs. Sandhya D’Almeida2
1M.Sc. (OBG) Nursing, Laxmi Memorial College of Nursing, A.J. Towers, Balmatta, Mangalore-575002, Karnataka, India
2Associate Professor, Obstetrics and Gynecological Nursing, Laxmi memorial College of Nursing, A.J Towers, Balmatta, Mangalore- 575002,Karnataka.India.
*Corresponding Author
DOI No:

ABSTRACT:
Gestational diabetes is defined as high blood sugar with onset or first recognition during pregnancy. There are both foetal and maternal complications associated with GDM. Administration of self instructional module is an important aspect to update the knowledge regarding self care management of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus and thus prevent the maternal morbidity and mortality due to GDM. The aim of this study was to assess the effectiveness of self instructional module on knowledge regarding self care management of gestational diabetes among antenatal women visiting antenatal clinics at Mangalore. The research approach used for the study was an evaluative approach. The conceptual framework was based on Becker and Rosenstock’s modified Health Belief Model. A sample of 30 gestational diabetes women were selected by the purposive sampling technique. The data was collected by using demographic proforma, structured knowledge questionnaire on self care management of gestational diabetes mellitus. After collecting data, self instructional module was administered to the subject and on 7th day post test was conducted using the same questionnaire. The data collected was analyzed to achieve the objectives of the study and to test the research hypotheses using descriptive and inferential statistics. The analysis of the pre test knowledge revealed that, (26.66%) of the women had poor knowledge where as (20%) of them had good knowledge about self care management of gestational diabetes mellitus. In post-test, majority (63.33%) of women had good knowledge, remaining (36.67%) average knowledge and none of them had poor knowledge. The findings of the study concluded that the majority of gestational diabetes mothers had poor knowledge regarding self care management of gestational diabetes mellitus. Educating these women helps to improve their knowledge regarding self care management of gestational diabetes mellitus.
KEYWORDS:
Assessment; gestational diabetes mellitus; antenatal women.
Cite:
Smitha K.R, Sandhya D’Almeida. Effectiveness of Self-Instructional Module on Knowledge Regarding Self-Care Management of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus among Antenatal Women Visiting Selected Antenatal Clinic at Mangalore”. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management 3(1):Jan. - Mar., 2015; Page 42-45.
[View HTML]      [View PDF]



Visitor's No. :   138259